Friday, January 25, 2013

Non Sense Words

Here is one of my newer centers that I just created.  My students needed help reading and decoding reading real words and non sense words.  So, I had the idea to use scrabble tiles, I don;t know why but I'm in love with the end result.  I bought the tiles through Amazon, 200 tiles for about $20.  I also, got this container from our Christmas party and I thought what a perfect container for this center.


Now, I know this doesn't look like much right now, but this is how easy the center folds up.  I struggled for a few days on how to display real words versus non sense words. and I figured red and green made the most sense.  I used my Cricut to make the perfect circle and then cut it in half, and traced the half circle onto the colored paper, trimmed the edge and viola!


I used my Cricut to make the perfect circle and then cut it in half, and traced the half circle onto the colored paper, trimmed the edge and viola!


Now comes the fun part!  I sorted the letters and came up with the real words first.  Then, I took all the extra letters and put those together by gluing them with Elmers Glue.  Next, I added a coat of Modge Podge to solidify the tiles.  I wish I hadn't done this because the tiles became sticky and I had one big blob of tiles.  I had clear coating spray paint from a prior project, so I sprayed the tiles down which heloed take away the stickiness!   


Now, when we play this center I lay out all the pieces face down and students and pick up a piece.  After reading the word, they have to determine whether it's a real word or a silly word and put it on the correct side.  Now, if students need help reading the piece they picked, I asked if anyone else can help and if they are struggling because we haven't learned the letter or they can't blend the word, then I intervene and help them out!  I give this center two thumbs way, way up!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the step-by-step illustration. Even for a new learner like me, i have learnt so much.
    scrabble words finder

    ReplyDelete